NO. 9 CAPTAIN JACK'S STRONGHOLD - From this fortress, Captain Jack and his Indian forces successfully resisted capture by U.S. Army troops from December 1, 1872 to April 18, 1873.
Location: Site in Lava Beds National Monument, 8.3 mi S of Tule Lake. Plaque on Hwy 139 and County Rd 120
NO. 13 GUILLEM'S GRAVEYARD - Almost 100 soldiers killed in action during the Modoc Indian War of 1872-73 were buried here. The bodies were moved to the National Cemetery in Washington, D.C. in the early 1890s.
Location: In Lava Beds National Monument, 7.5 mi W of NE entrance, 4 mi S of Tule Lake
NO. 110 CANBY'S CROSS-1873 - General E. R. S. Canby was murdered here in April 1873 while holding a peace parley with Captain Jack and Indian chiefs under a flag of truce. Eleazer Thomas, peace commissioner, was likewise slain.
Location: In Lava Beds National Monument, about 0.5 mi E of park's N entrance, 8.3 mi S of Tule Lake
NO. 317 SITE OF FORT JONES - Companies A and B of the First United States Dragoons established a military post here on October 16, 1852. Named in honor of Colonel Roger Jones, brevet major general and the Adjutant General of the Army 1825-52, this fort was garrisoned by Company 3, 4th U.S. Infantry from April 23, 1853 until it was abandoned on June 23, 1858. This monument is dedicated this 14th day of July, 1946, to the officers and men who served here, among them Sergeants James Bryan and John Griffin and Private Gundor Salverson who upon their discharge became pioneer settlers of this valley.
Location: On E Side Rd, 0.5 mi SE of intersection of E Side Rd and State Hwy 3, Fort Jones
NO. 396 STRAWBERRY VALLEY STAGE STATION - Across the road from this marker stood the Strawberry Valley Stage Station which served the patrons of the line from its completion in 1857 until 1886, when railroad construction reached the valley. The small building across the road was the Berryvale Post Office, which operated from 1870 to 1887, its first postmaster was Justin Hinckley Sisson. Behind the marker stood the famous Sisson Hotel, well known to mountain climbers, fishermen, hunters, and vacationers throughout California, it was built about 1865 by J. H. Sisson and in 1916 was destroyed by fire. The Mount Shasta trout hatchery was founded in 1888, but J. H. Sisson had started rearing trout to stock the streams in the vicinity in 1877. When the business center was moved to its present location on the railroad in 1886, its name was changed from Strawberry Valley to Sisson, and in 1923 the town was renamed Mount Shasta City.
Location: SW corner of W Jessie St and Old Stage Rd, 1 mi W of Mt Shasta
NO. 517 EMIGRANT TRAIL CROSSING OF PRESENT HIGHWAY - As early as 1852 wagon trains of overland emigrants crossed six hundred feet to the north of this monument, into Shasta Valley and Yreka, the monument also marks the point where the 1857 military pass from Fort Crook emerged to join the westward emigrant road.
Location: State Hwy 97 (P.M. 14.5), at Military Pass Rd, 14.5 mi NE of Weed
NO. 901 WEST MINER STREET-THIRD STREET HISTORIC DISTRICT, YREKA - Founded in March 1851 with the discovery of gold in the nearby 'flats,' Yreka quickly became the commercial and transportation hub for the surrounding communities and mining camps. Yreka's tents and shanties gave way to more substantial commercial and residential buildings seen on West Miner and Third Streets which remain as tangible evidence of the town 19th-century regional prominence.
Location: SW corner of Miner St and Broadway, Yreka