California Points of Historical Interest
California Points of Historical Interest are sites, buildings, features, or events that are of local (city or county) significance and have anthropological, cultural, military, political, architectural, economic, scientific or technical, religious, experimental, or other value.
Points of Historical Interest designated after December 1997 and recommended by the State Historical Resources Commission are also listed in the California Register.
No historical resource may be designated as both a Landmark and a Point. If a Point is subsequently granted status as a Landmark, the Point designation will be retired.
Criteria for Designation
To be eligible for designation as a Point of Historical Interest, a resource must meet at least one of the following criteria:
Effects of Designation
Procedures for Designation
1. Download a Nomination Packet, including TAS Bulletin 13. Only use the DPR 523 Forms applicable to the nominated resource. If you need assistance contact Registration Unit staff.
2. Obtain written consent from the property owner(s) for the nomination. Written consent from the property owner(s) is required for designation. If a plaque is requested, written permission of property owner(s) to place the plaque on his or her property must be stated in the letter.
3. Complete application according to instructions.
4. Submit cover letter, written consent from property owner(s), nomination, photographs, and maps to OHP for review.
5. Nominations will be reviewed by OHP staff. Those that do not have written consent from the property owner(s), are inadequate or are not prepared according to the instructions will be returned to the applicant for further work.
6. OHP notifies all applicants, property owners and appropriate governmental jurisdictions of the time and place of the SHRC meeting.
7. If approved by the SHRC, the nomination is forwarded to the Director of California State Parks for final approval.
Written consent of property owner(s) is required for designation.
Local Government Notification
Local government will be given 60 days to comment on application before the nomination is considered by the State Historical Resources Commission.