CITY OF AUBURN

Historical Landmark

Description:
Gold was discovered near here by Claude Chana on May 16, 1848. First known as 'North Fork' or 'Woods Dry Diggins,' the settlement was given the name Auburn in the fall of 1849. It soon became an important mining town, trading post, and stage terminal, and also became the county seat of Sutter County in 1850 and of Placer County in 1851. It was destroyed by fires in 1855, 1859, and 1863.


Registration Date: 4/14/1948

Location:
City: Auburn
County: Placer

Directions:
SW corner of Maple St and Lincoln Way, Auburn
CITY OF AUBURN



Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing