PLACERVILLE-OVERLAND PONY EXPRESS ROUTE IN CALIFORNIA
Gold rush town and western terminus of the Placerville-Carson Road to the Comstock, Placerville was a relay station of the Central Overland Pony Express from April 4, 1860 until June 30, 1861. Here on April 4, 1860, the first eastbound pony rider, William (Sam) Hamilton, changed horses, added an express letter to his mochila, and sped away for Sportsman's Hall. Placerville was the western terminus of the Pony Express from July 1, 1861 until its discontinuance on October 26, 1861.
Registration Date: 9/11/1959
County: El Dorado
SW corner of Main and Sacramento, Placerville
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing