This military post was established by the United States Army on June 24, 1854, to suppress stock rustling and protect the Indians in the San Joaquin Valley. Camels for transportation were introduced here in 1858. As regimental headquarters of the First Dragoons, Fort Tejón was an important military, social, and political center - it was abandoned September 11, 1864. This property was also listed in the National Register of Historic Places on 5/6/71.
Registration Date: 1/31/1934
Fort Tejón State Historic Park, on Lebec Rd, 2.8 mi N of Lebec
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing