Historical LandmarkNPS Number: 66000083
First called Johnsonville, Bear Valley had a population of 3,000, including Chinese, Cornish, and Mexicans. During 1850-60 when Col. John C. Frémont's Ride Tree and Josephine Mines were producing, Frémont's elegant hotel, Oso House, was built with lumber brought around the Horn. It no longer stands. After a fire in 1888, structures were rebuilt. Some still standing are Bon Ton Saloon, Trabucco Store, Odd Fellows Hall, school house and remains of jail.
Registration Date: 8/8/1939
City: Bear Valley
On State Hwy 49 (P.M. 29.2), Bear Valley
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing