Skip to Main Content
Menu
Contact Us Search
OHP Title

BRIDGEPORT HISTORIC DISTRICT

Historical Landmark

Description:
Also known as "Bridgeport (Nyes Crossing) Covered Bridge." Built in 1862 by David Isaac John Wood with lumber from his mill in Sierra County, this bridge was part of the Virginia Turnpike Company toll road which served the northern mines and the busy Nevada Comstock Lode. Utilizing a combination truss and arch construction, it is the longest single span covered bridge in the United States. In 1970 it was designated a National Civil Engineering Landmark, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in July 1971. The historic district includes the bridge, an 1862 barn, 1927 gas station, a portion of the original Virginia Turnpike toll road, and the Kneebone Family Cemetery.

Registration Date: 8/26/1947

Location:
City: French Corral
County: Nevada

Directions:
W side of Pleasant Valley Rd at S Fork of the Yuba River 2.7 mi S of French Corral

Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing