Founded in 1849 as 'The Spanish Corral,' Ophir received its Biblical name in 1850 because of its rich placers. The most populous town in Placer County in 1852, polling 500 votes, Ophir was almost totally destroyed by fire in July 1853 but later became the center of quartz mining in the county.
Registration Date: 8/30/1950
SW corner of Lozanos and Bald Hill Rds, 3 mi W of Auburn
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing