Skip to Main Content
Menu
Contact Us Search
OHP Title

BALLAST POINT WHALING STATION SITE

Historical Landmark

Description:
Late in 1857, the three Johnson brothers and the twin Packard brothers came to this site to survey possibilities for a station to 'try out' or extract whale oil. Their operations began the next year. In 1869 the U.S. Government acquired the property for Fort Rosecrans and in 1873 whaling operations at Ballast Point ended.

Registration Date: 12/6/1932

Location:
City: San Diego
County: San Diego

Directions:
Base of Ballast Point, S end of Rosecrans St, where historic markers are on a half circle, U.S. Naval Submarine Base, San Diego

Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing