WEAVERVILLE JOSS HOUSE
Hundreds of Chinese miners came to the Weaverville area in the 1850s and prospered despite hardships, discrimination, and tax on foreign miners. The first house of worship burned in 1873, the Chinese continued their religious traditions in the present temple, dedicated April 18, 1874. Moon Lim Lee, trustee and grandson of one of its contributors, gift-deeded the 'Temple Amongst the Forest Beneath the Clouds' to the State.
Registration Date: 9/11/1959
SW corner of State Hwy 299 and Oregon St, Weaverville
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing