The 'Castle,' built in 1890-1894, is the most significant example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the Mother Lode. It was built to house the Preston School of Industry, established by the State Legislature as a progressive action toward rehabilitating, rather than simply imprisoning, juvenile offenders. Doors of the 120-room 'Castle' closed in 1960 after new facilities were completed. Preston Castle was also listed in the National Register of Historic Places on 7/30/1975.
Registration Date: 1/11/1974
Preston School of Industry, Waterman Rd - plaque located 0.9 miles N of site on State Hwy 104 (P.M. 4.3), 1 mi N of lone
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing