In 1893 Fred Harvey, founder and operator of the Santa Fe Harvey Houses, took over the operation of all hotel and restaurants on the Santa Fe line, including the one at Barstow (then Waterman Junction) constructed in 1885. In 1908 this Harvey House burned, and in 1910-13 the present Spanish-Moorish structure designed by architect Mary E. J. Coulter was constructed. It is the best surviving example of California's depot-hotels of the turn of the century.
Registration Date: 2/20/1976
County: San Bernardino
Santa Fe Depot, SW corner of First Ave and Riverside Dr, plaque located at Mojave River Museum, 270 E Virginia Way, Barstow
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing