Historical LandmarkNPS Number: 78000825
This is the site of the headquarters of the Spanish Rancho San José de Nuestra Senora de Altagracia y Simi. The name derives from 'Shimiji,' the name of the Chumash village here before the Spanish. At 113,000 acres, Rancho Simi was one of the state's largest land grants. Two prominent Spanish and Mexican family names are connected with the Rancho: Santiago Pico who first received the grant, and José de la Guerra who purchased the Rancho in 1842. Two rooms of original adobe remain, part of the Strathearn home built in 1892-93.
Registration Date: 6/30/1988
City: Simi Valley
Robert P Strathearn Historical Park, 137 Strathearn Place, Simi Valley
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing