RANCHO NIPOMO (Cpt. William G. Dana Rancho)
Rancho Nipomo, almost 38,000 acres in size, was granted to Boston sea captain William Goodwin Dana, in 1837. For many years Rancho Nipomo was the first stopping place on El Camino Real south of Mission San Luis Obispo. From 1839 until Dana’s death in 1858, the Rancho was known throughout the state as a hospitable stopping place for travelers, including Captain John C. Fremont, Edwin Bryant, and General Henry W. Halleck. In 1847 the “Dana Ranch” became one of four designated exchange points on California’s first U.S. mail route.
Registration Date: 8/11/2000
City: San Luis Obispo
County: San Luis Obispo
6715 Oakglen Avenue, Nipomo
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing