Commonly referred to as the Great White Steamer, the ship was specially built by William Wrigley to serve his Catalina Island as a passenger ferry. She was christened on May 23, 1924. During World War II, she was requisitioned for use as a troop carrier, but in 1946 she resumed her voyages to Avalon. This property was also listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 9/1/1976.
Registration Date: 4/2/1976
For forty-two years, from 1924 to 1966, the S.S. Catalina's home was in Wilmington, Catalina Terminal, Berth 184-85, Port of Los Angeles.
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing