Pursuant to Section 4855(a) of the California Code of Regulations California Register of Historical Resources (Title 14, Chapter 11.5), the following nominations are scheduled for the August 14, 2020 State Historical Resources Commission(SHRC) quarterly meeting, taking place at 9:00 AM. This will be a virtual meeting via Zoom. Dial-in access will also be available. Register for the meeting online via Zoom. Meeting notices and agendas will be posted ten days prior to the meeting date.
The SHRC invites comments on the nominations from the public either in writing or at the scheduled public meeting. Copies of nominations are posted as PDF documents below. Written comments can be sent to: State Historical Resources Commission, P.O. Box 942896, Sacramento, CA 94296-0001.
Complete and official listing of nominated properties scheduled for hearing at the above mentioned SHRC Meeting can be found on the meeting agenda via the SHRC Meeting Schedule and Notices page. The nominations on this page may not reflect the most current properties listed on the agenda.
Properties can be removed from the agenda by the State Historic Preservation Officer or the State Historical Resources Commission. No properties can be added to the agenda.
National Register of Historic Places nominations are considered drafts until listed by the Keeper.
California Register of Historic Resources nominations are considered drafts until listed or formally determined eligible for listing by the State Historical Resources Commission.
Calfornia Historical Landmarks and Points of Historical Interest are considered drafts until approved for listing by the State Historical Resources Commission and the Director of California State Parks.
Properties nominated to the National Register of Historic Places
Bel Vista House was constructed in 1946 as one of fifteen identical homes in the Bel Vista tract of Palm Springs, and remains the most intact. Located on a corner at the southern entry to the original tract, the property is on a main thoroughfare in central Palm Springs surrounded by a residential neighborhood consisting of one-story, single-family residential buildings. The house embodies the distinctive characteristics of residential architecture associated with the modern movement as interpreted by Albert Frey for the desert environment of the Coachella Valley, and is nominated under cover of The Architecture of Albert Frey Multiple Property Submission.
Burro Flats Cultural District is a Traditional Cultural Property in the Santa Susana Mountain Range. Natural caves and rockshelters are scattered throughout the area. The property is significant for its archaeological sites and natural features described in stories important to the history of the local Native American community, for its remarkable examples of prehistoric Native American rock art that possess high artistic value and are important representatives of the aesthetic and possibly religious values of the Native American groups who created them, and for the district’s association with ceremonial solstice events.
Desert Golf Course and its six additional Spanish Colonial revival style buildings constructed between 1925 and 1936 are recognized alongside the National Register-listed Thomas O’Donnell House, Ojo del Desierto (Eye of the Desert), for their role in the development history of Palm Springs. Situated prominently at the base of Mount San Jacinto in downtown Palm Springs, Thomas O’Donnell’s Desert Golf Course promoted the tourist boom in the 1930s that perpetuated the city’s claim as one of America’s leading fashionable winter resorts.
Mojave Road is a well preserved mid-nineteenth century linear transportation corridor linking a series of historically significant springs across a vast expanse of desert basins and ranges. The 76.3 mile long section of Mojave Road through Mojave National Preserve in San Bernardino County follows the approximate route of a centuries old Native American trail system across usually dry Soda Lake, over the Marl Mountains and Mid Hills ranges and across the Lanfair Valley. In 1853, the U.S. Topographical Engineering party of Lt. Amiel Weeks Whipple followed the trail system as part of their Transcontinental Railroad survey. Whipple’s influential and widely circulated survey report resulted in construction of the Mojave wagon road by Lt. Edward Fitzgerald Beale between 1857 and 1860.
Pasadena Field Archery Range in Lower Arroyo Seco Park is situated between a neighborhood of single-family residences west of the park on the rim of the canyon, and a hiking trail alongside the narrow concrete flood control channel that runs the entire length of the park. The archery range is approximately seven acres consisting of twenty-eight targets and six practice butts. In continuous use since it was created in 1936 by the Pasadena Roving Archers, the property represents the enduring popularity of the sport, especially in Southern California.
St. John’s Chapel, Del Monte is a Late Victorian Shingle Style, traditionally cross-shaped building with a 110-foot high steeple and bell tower. The work of master architect Ernest A. Coxhead, the chapel was constructed in 1891 on a wooded site adjacent to the Hotel del Monte in Monterey and oriented northwest to align with the entrance of the hotel 850 feet away. The rerouting of California State Highway 1 in the 1950s mandated the chapel be moved 560 feet southwest, at which time it was reoriented to a more traditional east-west alignment.
Vernon School sits in a fallow field surrounded by orchards, just north of the confluence of the Feather and Sacramento Rivers in Sutter County. Established as a gateway to the gold fields, Vernon (later Verona) became a fishing village populated by Native Hawaiians brought to California by John Sutter as laborers. The 1863 building was constructed in a simplified Folk Victorian style, of wood boards nailed to a wood frame, on wood piers with concrete footings. A community resource, the schoolhouse was also used for church services and other meetings. Vernon School is nominated under cover of the Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in California, 1850 -1970 Multiple Property Submission.
Whelan, John, A., House is a two-story single-family residence in the Haight Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco. The building was constructed in 1896 for shipwright and speculative real estate developer John A. Whelan as part of a row of four similarly designed houses, later known collectively as the Four Seasons Houses. Constructed as Whelan’s personal family home, the house identified as Winter for the applied snowflake centerpiece relief on its front façade is a fine example of the Queen Anne architectural style that dominated residential development in the neighborhood as it was filling out in the late nineteenth century.
Latinos in Twentieth Century California MPS (Amended) adds the Chicano Moratorium in Los Angeles County as a new context. The Chicano Moratorium sought to redirect Mexican American energies toward fighting for social justice at home and in turn redefine the nature of Mexican American patriotism. While the Chicano Moratorium was technically short-lived—its main organization, the Chicano Moratorium Committee, existed from late 1969 to early 1971—its significance was far reaching. Moratorium activists assumed a key leadership role in the Southern California antiwar movement. Their ideology helped push the Latino civil rights movement toward cultural nationalism. Their protest actions were groundbreaking, culminating in the march and rally of August 29, 1970, the largest mass protest of Mexican Americans in history to that date. While that dramatic rally began in exuberance and hope, it ended in violence and tragedy, vividly illustrating the problem of police brutality, which Chicano activists had vigorously critiqued. The Moratorium Committee disintegrated shortly thereafter, leaving an important legacy in the realms of Latino political activism and thought.
Chicano Moratorium March December 20, 1969 from Five Points Memorial in the City of Los Angeles to Obregon Park in unincorporated East Los Angeles drew attention to the historic contributions of the Latino community to the United States military in past wars and to the disproportionate sacrifices of the community in the Vietnam War. The success of this march garnered public support and attention for the Chicano movement and subsequent Chicano Moratorium marches.
National Chicano Moratorium March August 29, 1970 in unincorporated East Los Angeles—from East Third Street in front of the East Los Angeles Civic Center down Atlantic and Whittier Boulevards to a rally in Laguna Park—channeled anti-Vietnam War sentiment to draw attention to domestic issues affecting the Chicano community. The peaceful rally turned into a major conflict between protestors and police officers and sheriff’s deputies. The violent outcome, including the death of prominent journalist Ruben Salazar, convinced many Chicano activists and community members to focus on the unique struggles of the Chicano community and was a milestone for organizing the Chicano community around struggles for equality.
Brown Beret Headquarters (Latinos in 20th Century California Multiple Property Submission) is a two story mixed use building located in the Boyle Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles. Originally constructed in 1923, the building became the headquarters of the Brown Berets, a militant community group that advocated for equal opportunity for Chicano/as, from June 1969 until June 1970, during the period of the Chicano Moratorium.
Nisei VFW Post 8985 (Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in California Multiple Property Submission) is a one-and-two-story International Style building located in downtown Sacramento, designed by A.E. Kimmel and Roy Swedin. The building was constructed as the Flower Garden, a restaurant operated by Black entrepreneur Phelix Flowers, and also functioned as a lodge for African American Elks club members. In 1954, the building was purchased by Sacramento's Japanese American Citizens League for use as a Veterans of Foreign Wars post established by Japanese-American veterans.
Wilshire Vista West Historic District is a residential neighborhood of 113 contributing and 8 non-contributing buildings in the Mid-City neighborhood of Los Angeles. The residences are two-story multi-family buildings designed in Period Revival, Strealine Moderne, Minimal Traditional and Mid-century Modern styles, built between 1927-1947. The district is significant as a distinct neighborhood of multifamily, principally Period Revival architecture, with a high level of architectural cohesion and historic integrity.
Hugh Edgar Johnson House is significant under Criterion C for its unique combination of Spanish Colonia Revival Architecture with Mayan revival decorative elements on the exterior and interior.The home’s temple-like entryway, decorative windows, and ziggurat porch posts are unique to Fullerton. The interior features a rare California Clay Products Company Aztec-styled fireplace surround. The dwelling is an unusual and outstanding example of the work of notable local building designer and contractor Evan J. Herbert.
Properties nominated to the California Register of Historical Resources
Bucks Bar Bridge is an open-spandrel reinforced concrete bridge over the North Fork of the Cosumnes River, located in El Dorado County. Designed and by county surveyor Frank McCarton and built by contractor Hector Williamson, the bridge is eligible for its role in the development of southern El Dorado County and as a significant example of open-spandrel, reinforced concrete bridge design, despite the fact that neither McCarton nor Williamson were master designers or builders.
Properties nominated as California Historical Landmarks
California Historical Landmarks Associated with the Ohlone-Portolá Heritage Trail is a series of amendments to seven existing California Historical Landmarks and two new California Historical Landmarks, all associated with the October-November 1769 expedition of Spanish explorer Gaspar de Portolá through Ohlone territory, all located in what is now San Mateo County, and the expedition's interactions with the Ohlone people. This common historic context provides updated documentation and geographical information regarding the expedition, and the critical role played by the Ohlone in the success of Portolá's journey.
Ohlone-Portolá Heritage Trail, Quiroste Village (CHL #23 Amendment) renames the existing landmark known as Gazos Creek to reflect that this was the site where the Portola expedition met with Quiroste, leader of an Ohlone village near this site, who provided the expedition with food, tobacco, and gifts, on October 23, 1769.
Ohlone-Portolá Heritage Trail, Purisima Creek (CHL #22 Amendment) is the Portolá expedition's camp site from October 27, 1769, on the south bank of the creek near its mouth. A nearby Ohlone village was found ininhabted at the time of the expedition's visit.
Ohlone-Portolá Heritage Trail, Pilarcitos Creek (CHL #21 Amendment) is the site where the Portolá expedition camped on October 28 and 29, 1869. Portolá fell ill at this site, and residents of a nearby Ohlone village visited them, providing the explorers with food.
Ohlone-Portolá Heritage Trail, Montara Mountain (CHL #25 Amendment) was the site where Portolá's expedition camped on October 30, 1769, at a stream at the foot of Montara Mountain, which blocked the expedition's progress. The expedition located a supply of mussels at the stream, providing a badly needed food supply when the expedition was short on provisions.
Ohlone-Portolá Heritage Trail, Laguna Grande (CHL #94 Amendment) Laguna Grande was the site where the Portolá expedition camped on November 5, 1769, at a large lagoon, today covered by Upper Crystal Springs Lake. As the expedition broke camp, three Ohlone people approached the expedition with food, inviting them to their village, where Portolá was provided with provisions for the expedition's return trip.
Ohlone-Portolá Heritage Trail, Cañada De Reymundo (CHL #92 Amendment) is the site where the Portolá expedition arrived on November 11, 1769, after traveling two leagues to a point in this canyon, their first camp of the return trip. At this encampment, visitors from a nearby Ohlone community visited with a gift of food, reciprocated by a gift of beads from Portolá.
Ohlone-Portolá Heritage Trail, Tunitas Beach (CHL #375 Amendment) The Portolá expedition passed through this area northbound on or about October 27, 1769, en route from San Gregorio to Purisima. The expedition returned to camp at Tunitas Beach on November 17, on its return trip. Due to heavy rains, further progress was impeded, so camp was made at this point.
Ohlone-Portolá Heritage Trail, Bean Hollow is a new landmark, site of the Portolá expedition's penultimate campground before the end of the expedition, on November 18, 1769.
Ohlone-Portolá Heritage Trail, Año Nuevo is a new landmark, site of the Portolá expedition's November 19, 1769 campsite near the point of Año Nuevo at a creek near the ocean. Prior to making camp, they passed through the Ohlone village of Quiroste, inhabited upon their arrival, but abandoned upon their return.
Properties nominated as California Historical Landmarks
Harada House is a two-story residence in Riverside, built sometime before 1887. From 1915 it was purchased by Jukichi Harada, a Japanese immigrant. The house became the subject of a 1918 landmark Superior Court decision granting the Harada family the right to own the property, challenging an anti-immigrant and racist property ownership law that forbade immigrants from Asia from owning property in California. The property is a National Historic Landmark and is significant for its association with an individual, Jukichi Harada, who had a profound influence on the history of California.
New Albion is the landing site and encampment of Sir Francis Drake's expedition to California in 1579, located in the coast of Marin County. This was the site where Drake met with the Coast Miwok people. The site is a National Historic Landmark and is significant for its association with an individual or group, Sir Francis Drake and the voyage of the Golden Hind, who had a profound influence on the history of California.
Properties nominated as Points of Historical Interest
Baumann Manor, in San Bernardino County, was built by Samuel Baumann in the Tudor Revival style, using local stone, much of it cut by hand. The cut stones were used to create the exterior walls, three fireplaces inside the house, and a wall around the perimeter of the house, as well as two outdoor fireplaces and a hilltop gazebo behind the house. Within a few years of its 1924 construction, the house was one of the first in the Oak Glen area to have electricity and a crank telephone. Drawn to the area by the taste of a local apple, Samuel and Murle Baumann established an apple farm, and were early promoters of agritourism.
The next State Historical Resources Commission meeting is scheduled for Friday, August 14, 2020. Nominations to be heard on the August 14, 2020 agenda will be posted after June 15, 2020.