Included on this page are answers to some of the questions most frequently asked by our constituents. We hope these answer any questions you may have as well, and lead you to additional helpful information.

Don't see your question here? Send it to us and we will get the answer back to you!

Where can I find out which staff member to contact for assistance?

Where would I find information about protecting historic resources during disasters?

What measures is California taking to address climate change impacts on our natural and cultural heritage?

Where would I find information on historic resources in California?
Built Environment Resource Directory (BERD) 
California Historical Resources Information System (CHRIS) 
Listed California Historical Resources
Your local government, history museum, historical society, or college archive also may provide information on historic resources in your area. 

What is a historic resource survey and where would I find information about it?

How can I find out if my property is historic?

What kind of funding is available to fix up my historic property?
Fundng for historic preservation projects can be challenging due to often limited funding options. For information on some of the options that are available, visit:
Mills Act
Federal Historic Preservation Tax Incentives Program
Incentives and Grants
Potential Funding Sources for Historic Preservation

What is the Mills Act and where would I find more information about it?

What is the Federal Historic Preservation Tax Incentives Program and what kind of historic properties qualify? 
The Federal Historic Preservation Tax Incentives Program provides a 20% federal tax credit for the rehabilitation of income producing, certified qualified historic buildings, and a tax deduction for easements on certified historic properties. Additional information can be found at: Federal Historic Preservation Tax Incentives Program.

Where would I find information on what is listed on the California or National Registers?
Listed California Historical Resources
Information Centers of the California Historical Resources Information System (CHRIS) 
National Register Information System (NRIS)
National Register Weekly Listings
NPS Focus Digital Asset Search

Where would I find information about California Historical Landmarks?
California Historical Landmarks Registration
California Historical Landmarks by County
Listed California Historical Resources
CHRIS Information Centers

How do I nominate a property for listing on the California and/or National Registers?
Registration Programs
National Register of Historic Places

How do I nominate a property as a California Historical Landmark or Point of Historical Interest?
California Historical Landmarks Registration 
California Point of Historical Interest Registration

What are DPR 523 forms and where would I find them?
The DPR 523 series of forms are used for recording and evaluating historic resources and for nominating properties as California Historical Landmarks, Points of Interest, and to the California Register of Historical Resources. For instructions and to download forms, go to: Forms.

How may I get a plaque for my historic property?

What is the State Historical Resources Commission? 

When will the State Historical Resources Commission hold their next meeting, and what nominations will the SHRC be considering? 
SHRC Meeting Schedule and Notices 
Pending Nominations

How do I comment on a registration nomination (California, National, Points of Historical Interest, California Historical Landmarks) prior to the State Historical Resources Commission meeting?
Written comments regarding nominations may be submitted to the State Historical Resources Commission at: Office of Historic Preservation, 1725 23rd Street, Suite 100, Sacramento, CA 95816, or Comments must be submitted no later than two days prior to meeting date. 

How do I initiate a Section 106 SHPO consultation?

What is a "status code" and where would I find more information about it?
California Historical Resource Status Codes are part of a hierarchical system that reflects the level of identification, evaluation, and designation of a cultural resource. A resource's status may change based on its integrity, significance, and age. For additional information: Technical Assistance Bulletin 8.

Where would I find information about preparing an archaeological report?
Please see the OHP documents Archaeological Resource Management Reports and OHP Guidelines for Archaeological Research Designs.

How do I record an archaeological site or historic structure?

What is a Tribal Cultural Resource (TCR)?
According to state law, a TCR may be "a site, feature, place, cultural landscape, sacred place, or object with cultural value to a California Native American tribe" (Public Resources Code section 21074). Visit the Native American Heritage Commission website for information about TCRs. The Governor's Office of Planning and Research provides a technical advisory on AB52.

What should I do if I find an artifact?
If you encounter an artifact, leave it in place! Archaeological sites and artifacts are best understood when studied within their original context. Additionally, state and federal laws prohibit the removal of archaeological items from some locations. So, if possible, please return any found artifacts to the location from which they were removed. If the artifact cannot be returned, consider contacting a qualified archaeologist, a Native American group local to the area where it originated, or the Archaeology/Anthropology department of a local university to determine how to appropriately handle the item. The Office of Historic Preservation (OHP) does not have an artifact repository so please do not send artifacts to the OHP.

Does CEQA apply to historical resources?

Where would I find OHP Technical Assistance Bulletins?

Where can I find training information and workshop materials?
Preservation Trainings
OHP Webinar Archives

How do I make a Public Records Act Request?
Public Records Act (PRA) requests may be made orally or in writing. The OHP recommends that all PRA requests for records be in writing so that we can more accurately identify the records sought and process the request more quickly. When making your request, be sure to state: 1) Whether you are requesting to inspect records, or obtain copies of public records under the PRA; 2) A clear and specific description of the information you are requesting (if possible, identify dates, subjects, titles, and authors of the records you are requesting); 3) Contact information so we can clarify information if needed and send you a response and/or copies of records. For more information, please review the California Department of Parks and Recreation Public Records Access Guidelines. To acquire information about a specific property, contact the appropriate Information Center of the California Historical Resources Information System (CHRIS).