he J. C. Carly House is a 2,931 square foot, two-story Spanish Mediterranean Revival-style house constructed in 1922 by local architects Dean & Dean. The property was listed at the local level of significance under Criterion B in the area of community planning and development for its association with developer James C. Carly. Carly was a prominent real estate developer in Sacramento who began his career in the 1890s. By the early 1900s, Carly had developed some of the first tracts in today’s Curtis Park area which were annexed to the City of Sacramento in 1911. The South Curtis Oaks tract was developed while Carly was at the peak of his career, and his house, which he occupied from 1922 until 1933, stood as the entrance to this new tract of architect-designed homes. South Curtis Oaks was his premier development project. It was praised for its architectural aesthetics and the preservation of natural beauty. Carly’s tract set a new standard for development in the Curtis Park area. It was also listed under Criterion C as an excellent example of a Spanish Mediterranean-style house designed by Dean and Dean. The local architectural firm of Dean and Dean consisted of brothers Charles and James, who practiced in Sacramento from 1922 until 1956. The two brothers designed several buildings in Sacramento including the Memorial Auditorium, Sutter Club, and the National Register-listed Westminster Presbyterian Church. Dean and Dean also designed houses including a portion of Subdivision #1 in South Curtis Oaks. The brothers seem to have favored the Mediterranean style in their civic building design. The J. C. Carly House is a good residential representation of the Mediterranean architectural style by Dean and Dean.

Registration Date: 3/22/2006

City: Sacramento
County: Sacramento

2761 Montgomery Way

Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing