Historical Landmark

The canvas hotel that C. C. Lake erected here in 1851 was replaced by a one-story wooden structure, and then in 1855 by one of stone - a second story was added in 1857. It was here that Samuel Clemens first heard the yarn that was later to bring him fame as Mark Twain, author of The Jumping Frog of Calaveras County. This hotel was also listed on the National Register of Historic Places on

Registration Date: 4/8/1960

City: Angels Camp
County: Calaveras

NE corner of Main St and Bird Way, Angels Camp

Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing