TURNER/ROBERTSON SHIPYARD, 1883-1918
In 1882, Matthew Turner of San Francisco relocated his shipyard to Benicia. Turner, the most prodigious shipbuilder in North America, constructed 228 vessels, 169 of which were launched here. In 1913, the shipyard was purchased by James Robertson, who operated it until 1918. The yard sways, and the Whaler Stamboul, used as a shipyard work platform, are visible at low tide.
Registration Date: 6/18/1987
Matthew Turner Shipyard Park, foot of W 12th St off of W K St, Benicia
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing