The Hotel Montgomery is a four-story reinforced concrete building constructed in 1911. The building was designed by architect William Binder for developer Thomas S. Montgomery. It was listed at the local level of significance under Criterion C in the area of architecture as a good representative example of early 20th century commercial design. The building is characterized by an elaborate cornice, balconies, and escutcheons. Classic design accents include modillions, dentils, scrolled brackets, and egg and dart molding. The building represents the type of commercial building commonly constructed during the early 1900s in downtowns throughout the country and is one of a handful remaining in downtown San Jose. The building’s simple classicism belongs to Academic Classical revivalism, also called Beaux-Arts classicism. In 2000, the building was moved 186 feet south retaining its original orientation. The move included demolition of a 1917 addition and elimination of the basement. In 2001 a Part 1 – Evaluation of Significance was approved by the National Park Service certifying the building appeared individually eligible for the National Register. After the move, the building was upgraded to current seismic, fire, and life safety codes. It was also rehabilitated as a federal historic preservation tax credit project using the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation, with particular attention focused on renovation of the exterior, first floor public spaces, and upper floor corridor configuration. The Part 3 certifying the work was complete and in compliance with the Standards was approved by NPS March 2005. The building continues today as a hotel. The property meets Criteria Consideration B: Moved Buildings because it was moved to prevent demolition, it iswas listed under Criterion C.
Registration Date: 4/20/2006
City: San Jose
County: Santa Clara
211 SW First St.
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing