Built in 1827 by the Mexican government, the Custom House played a critical role in the functioning of the Mexican government, as duties from foreign commerce were the prime source of revenue. On July 7, 1846, Commodore John D. Sloat raised the American flag over the building marking the official takeover of California by the U.S. military. The building remained an important edifice during the transition to American rule, and over time became a valued symbol of an earlier age. The building was preserved through the efforts of the Native Sons of the Golden West and the citizens of California. The Custom House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 10/15/1966, NPS-66000217.
Registration Date: 6/1/1932
Monterey State Historic Park, Custom House Plaza, between Scott and Decatur Sts, Monterey
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing