Gold was discovered here in 1850 by 'Yankee Jim,' a reputed lawless character, and by 1857 the town was one of the most important in Placer County. The first mining ditch in the county was constructed here by H. Starr and Eugene Phelps. Colonel William McClure introduced hydraulic mining to this area in June of 1853.
Registration Date: 4/14/1948
City: Forest Hill
SE corner of Colfax Foresthill and Springs Garden Rds, 3.0 mi NE of Forest Hill
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing