Spanish missionaries introduced the principle of irrigation in San Bernardino Valley, thus opening the way to settlement. Franciscan fathers engineered, and Indians dug, this first ditch, or 'zanja,' in 1819-20. It supported the San Bernardino Asistencia, the Rancho San Bernardino, then pioneer ranches and orchards and finally Redlands' domestic water supply.
Registration Date: 8/1/1932
County: San Bernardino
Sylvan Park, University St, Redlands
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing