SAN DIEGO PRESIDIO SITE
Soldiers, sailors, Indians, and Franciscan missionaries from New Spain occupied the land at Presidio Hill on May 17, 1769 as a military outpost. Two months later, Fr. Junípero Serra established the first San Diego Mission on Presidio Hill. Officially proclaimed a Spanish Presidio on January 1, 1774, the fortress was later occupied by a succession of Mexican forces. The Presidio was abandoned in 1837 after San Diego became a pueblo.
Registration Date: 12/6/1932
City: San Diego
County: San Diego
Next to parking lot across Presidio Dr from Serra Museum, Presidio Park, Old Town, San Diego
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing