SUBWAY TERMINAL BUILDINGDescription:
The Southern Pacific Train Depot, enclosed within a 4 acre boundary, consists of a 1905 Mission Revival railroad station, designed by Francis W. Wilson; three landscaped parks with palm trees, lawn, and lantana hedges; portions of eastbound and westbound tracks; and a former Railway Express Agency office built in 1906. Although the Southern Pacific roundhouse, freight depot, and ice-making plant are now gone and the nomination excludes a 1910 signalman’s building. The property was listed at the local level of significance under Criterion A in the areas of transportation and tourism during the years 1905-1949 for the importance of the depot in Santa Barbara’s transportation and tourism histories. The station played a vital role in shipping local citrus, vegetables, and lumber to markets outside the area. The railroad allowed Santa Barbara to develop into a major tourist destination. It was also listed under Criterion C in the area of architecture as one of the few Mission Revival buildings constructed in Santa Barbara, a city better known for its Spanish Colonial Revival image, which developed after the 1925 earthquake. The limited number of Mission Revival buildings built in Santa Barbara between 1894 and 1911 were residences, hotels, and the Southern Pacific train depot. The Depot was determined eligible by the Keeper of the National Register in 1978 pursuant to 36 CFR Part 63.3 and a DOT/FHWA project.
Registration Date: 8/2/2006
City: Los Angeles
County: Los Angeles
209 State St.
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing