NO. 248 GAVIOTA PASS - Designated in 1937 to recognize the significance of Gaviota Pass as one of California’s historic mountain passes. Gaviota Pass was used throughout California history by Native Californians, Spanish and Mexican explorers and settlers, and early Anglo-American settlers traveling between the interior regions of central California and the Santa Barbara coast.
Location: N-bound State Hwy 101 rest stop (P.M. 46.9), 1.5 mi NW of Gaviota
NO. 305 MISSION SANTA INÉS - This mission was founded in 1804 by Father Estévan Tapís to reach the Indians living east of the Coast Range. Construction was completed in 1817. It was through the efforts of Father Alexander Buckler, starting in 1904, that Mission Santa Inés was restored to as much as possible of its old charm and grace.
Location: 1760 Mission Dr, Solvang
NO. 306 BURTON MOUND - Thought to have once been the Indian village of Syujtun, this site has yielded some of the most important archeological evidence found in California. In 1542 the village was recorded by Cabrillo while on his voyage of discovery, and again in 1769 by Fr. Crespí and the redoubtable Portolá. Don Luís Burton, after whom the mound was named, acquired the property in 1860.
Location: 129 W Mason St at Burton Circle, Santa Barbara
NO. 307 CASA DE LA GUERRA - A common council was duly elected near this site on August 26, 1850, two weeks before California statehood. The City of Santa Barbara held its first official meeting here in 1875, the first city hall was erected here, and the area is still center of city's governmental activities. The plaza was the scene of early Santa Barbara fiestas, and the hospitality at the de la Guerra house set standards for Santa Barbara.
Location: El Paseo Plaza, SE corner of De La Guerra St and De La Guerra Plaza, Santa Barbara
NO. 308 COVARRUBIAS ADOBE - The adobe was built by Indian labor in 1817 for Don Domingo Carrillo. In 1838, his daughter married Don José María Covarrubias, who in 1852 became the first federal elector from California. Descendants of these families, many of them leaders in public affairs, occupied this house for over a century. John R. Southworth moved and rebuilt the 'Historic Adobe' here in 1924 as part of a civic program of historic preservation. Los Adobes de los Rancheros acquired the property in 1938 as headquarters for Los Rancheros Visitadores and for the use and enjoyment of the people.
Location: 715 N Santa Barbara St, Santa Barbara
NO. 309 MISSION SANTA BARBARA - Santa Barbara Mission was founded December 4, 1786. Portions of five units of its extensive waterworks, built by Indian labor and preserved in this part, are a filter house, Spanish gristmill, sections of aqueducts, and two reservoirs, the larger of which, built in 1806, is used today as part of the city water system. The fountain and lavadero are nearby, in front of the mission, and a dam built in 1807 is located in the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, one and one-half miles up Mission Canyon. Only ruins remain of the mission's pottery kiln, guard house, and tanning vats.
Location: 2201 Laguna St, plaque located in Mission Historical Park, 1,000 ft W at old 1806 Reservoir, Santa Barbara
NO. 340 MISSION LA PURÍSIMA - Established December 8, 1787, by Father Lasuén, the mission was badly damaged by an earthquake in 1812. Removed from control of Franciscans during secularization of the missions, it was abandoned in 1834. State and National Park Services and the Civilian Conservation Corps restored major and many small structures and the water system so that today La Purisima is the only example in California of a complete mission.
Location: La Purisima Mission State Historic Park, N side of intersection of Mission Gate Rd and Purisima Rd, on State Hwy 246, 3 mi E of Lompoc.
NO. 361 OLD LOBERO THEATRE - José Lobero opened the region's first legitimate theatre on this site on February 22, 1873. For many years the old theatre was the center of social life in Santa Barbara. A new Lobero Theatre, opened in 1924 on the same site, continues to serve the cultural interests of the area.
Location: 33 E Canon Perdido St, Santa Barbara
NO. 535 CARPINTERIA AND INDIAN VILLAGE OF MISHOPSHNOW - The Chumash Indian village of Mishopshnow, discovered by Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo on August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile southwest of the monument. Fray Juan Crespí of the Gaspar de Portolá Expedition named it San Roque on August 17, 1769. Portolá's soldiers, observing the Indians building wooden canoes, called the village La Carpinteria-the Carpenter's Shop.
Location: Carpinteria Valley Museum of History, 950 Maple Ave, second plaque located at 1,000 S Carpinteria Ave, Carpinteria
NO. 559 HASTINGS ADOBE - Built in 1854 by Captain Horatio Gates Trussell of Orland, Maine, the adobe is partly constructed of material from the wreck of the S.S. Winfield Scott on Anacapa Island. The Winchesters acquired the adobe in 1882 and Katherine Bagg Hastings, niece of Miss Sarah Winchester, bequeathed it to the Santa Barbara Historical Society in 1935.
Location: 412 W Montecito St, Santa Barbara
NO. 582 WELL, HILL 4 - This well, spudded September 26, 1905, and completed April 30, 1906, is the first oil well in which a water shutoff was attained by pumping cement through the tubing and back of the casing-forerunner of the modern cementing technique. It was drilled to a depth of 2,507 feet by Union Oil Company of California, 1,872 feet of 10-inch casing and 2,237 feet of 8-inch casing were so securely cemented off that the well produced for over forty-five years.
Location: Mission Hills District, plaque is located 1.6 mi N of Union Oil Co. Production Office, office is located off of Rucker Rd, 5 mi NE of Lompoc
NO. 636 ROYAL SPANISH PRESIDIO - This presidio was established April 19-21, 1782 by Governor Felipe de Neve, Padre Junípero Serra, and Lieutenant José Francisco Ortega, under orders of King Carlos III to provide the benefits of government for the inhabitants of the Santa Barbara Channel region of California.
Location: El Presidio de Santa Barbara State Historic Park, NW corner of Santa Barbara and Canyon Perdido Sts, Santa Barbara
NO. 721 CARRILLO ADOBE - Daniel Hill of Massachusetts built this adobe about 1825 for his bride, Rafaela L. Ortega y Olivera. She was the granddaughter of José Francisco Ortega, founder and first commandante of the Royal Presidio of Santa Barbara.
Location: 11 E Carrillo St, Santa Barbara
NO. 877 CHAPEL OF SAN RAMON - This redwood frame chapel, erected in 1875 by Frederick and Ramona Foxen Wickenden, illustrates the transition between the architecture of the old missions and the frame churches of the American settlers. It is a unique example of the use of wood to create strong, simple forms that had formerly been executed in adobe.
Location: SW corner of Tepusquet and Foxen Canyon Rds, 15 mi SE of Santa Maria
NO. 928 SITE OF ORIGINAL MISSION AND REMAINING RUINS OF BUILDINGS OF MISSION DE LA PURÍSIMA CONCEPCIÓN DE MARÍA SANTISIMA - The ruins at this site are part of the original Mission La Purísima, founded by Padre Fermín de Lasuén on December 8, 1787, as the 11th in the chain of Spanish Missions in California. The mission was destroyed by earthquake on December 12, 1812, the present Mision (mission) La Purisima was then established several miles away.
Location: 5085 'T' St at E Locust Ave, Lompoc
NO. 1037 Santa Barbara County Courthouse - The Santa Barbara County Courthouse was constructed in 1929 and is a complex of four buildings and gardens occupying an entire city block in downtown Santa Barbara. It was designed by master architect William Mooser in the Spanish Colonial/Moorish Revival style. Key elements of the Courthouse are the clock tower with the original clockworks that still mark time, and the Mural Room with original murals by California artist Daniel Sayre Grosbeck. Santa Barbara County Courthouse is an extraordinary example of its style, with an elaborate array of detail emulating a Spanish castle or fortress.
Location: 1100 Anacapa Street, Santa Barbara
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1/23/1981, NPS-81000177.