NO. 497 S.S. EMIDIO - Nearby are portions of the hull of the General Petroleum Corporation tanker S.S. Emidio, which on December 20, 1941 became the first casualty of the Imperial Japanese Navy's submarine force action on California's Pacific Coast. The ship was attacked some 200 miles north of San Francisco and five crewmen were killed. Abandoned, the vessel drifted north and broke up on the rocks off Crescent City. The bow drifted into the harbor, where it lay near this marker until salvaged in 1950.
Location: Beach Front Park and Picnic Area, SW corner of Front and H Sts, Crescent City
NO. 541 BROTHER JONATHAN CEMETERY - This memorial is dedicated to those who lost their lives in the wreck of the Pacific Mail steamer Brother Jonathan at point St. George's Reef, July 30, 1865.
Location: Located in park at Brother Johnathan Vista Point, SE corner 9th St and Pebble Beach Dr, Crescent City
NO. 544 FORT TER-WER - Site of Fort Ter-Wer, United States military post established October 12, 1857 by First Lieutenant George Crook and the men of Company D to keep peace between the Indians and whites. The fort was destroyed by a flood in December 1861, and abandoned June 10, 1862.
Location: From Hwy 101 take Ter-Wer Valley exit (Hwy 169) , go 3.4 mi to end of road, turn right on Ter-Wer Riffle Rd. Site at intersection of Ter-Wer Riffle and Klamath Glen Rds, Klamath
NO. 545 CAMP LINCOLN - A United States military post was established here September 12, 1862 by the men of Company G, 2nd Regiment, Infantry, California Volunteers, to keep peace between the Indians and the miners and settlers of northwestern California. It was abandoned in May 1870. Commanding officer's quarters and one barracks remain at the date of dedication of this site (1962).
Location: Take Hwy 199 E to Kings Valley Rd, go 1.2 mi NE to site, Crescent City
NO. 645 CRESCENT CITY PLANK AND TURNPIKE ROAD - This was the route of the Crescent City Turnpike, constructed in 1858. Following the present Elk Valley Road to Old Camp Lincoln, it then crossed the ridge, forded Smith River to Low Divide, and continued to Jacksonville, Oregon by way of various gold camps.
Location: Take Hwy 199 to Parkway Dr, go 1,000 ft to SE corner of Parkway Dr and Elk Valley Rd, Crescent City.
NO. 649 SITE OF OLD INDIAN VILLAGE AT PEBBLE BEACH, CRESCENT CITY - At the time of white contact the principal villages of the native Tolowa Indians of northern Del Norte County were located at Battery Point in Crescent City (Ta'atun), Pebble Beach (Meslteltun), south of Point St. George (Tatintun), and north of Point St. George (Tawiatun). The major villages were almost completely independent economic units.
Location: 1886 Pebble Beach Dr, 500 ft S of Pacific Ave, Crescent City
NO. 951 BATTERY POINT LIGHTHOUSE - The Battery Point Lighthouse is one of the first lighthouses on the California coast. Rugged mountains and unbridged rivers meant coastal travel was essential for the economic survival of this region. In 1855 Congress appropriated $15,000 for the construction of the light station, which was completed in 1856 by the U.S. Lighthouse Service. Theophilis Magruder was the station's first keeper; Wayne Philand was its last before automation in 1953.
Location:Battery Pt Island, end of A St, Crescent City